What do you say about cauliflower cheese? It’s the kind of dish I associate with growing up, however we didn’t usually get it growing up. I know the few times we did, I loved it!
For some reason it’s seen as unhealthy when in reality, it’s not that bad. Cheese is ok, milk is ok, and it has a little butter in it. If it gets the kids to eat their veges, hey, why not?
You melt a little butter
Add plain flour until it turns into a paste then add milk, a little at a time so it’s incorporated before adding the next slurp (do as I say, not as my photos show that I did)
Once you’ve got it to a slightly thick but still pourable consistency, add salt, pepper and mustard, to taste of course. Then you add your cheese. It can’t be a cheese sauce without cheese, can it?
While that’s been happening, I hope you’ve steamed your cauliflower and broccoli until they’re just a little less crunchy. You pop them in an oven safe tray.
Then spoon the delicious cheesey sauce all over the vegetables.
Sprinkle breadcrumbs and a little extra cheese on top before popping it in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the top is slightly golden and crunchy.
You can serve it with anything you like, but it goes great with a roast, corned beef (silverside) or, with some additional ingredients, you could make this a meal in itself.
- 2T butter
- 1/8 C plain flower
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 1 t dijon mstard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 C grated cheese + 2 T for sprinkling
- 2 T bread crumbs
- 2 heads of broccoli or cauliflower
- Preheat your oven to 180C (375F)
- Chop your vegetables into florets and steam until they’re just tender, they’ll cook more in the oven
- Melt butter in a saucepan
- Once fully melted, add flour and stir until a paste forms
- Slowly add milk a little at a time, making sure it’s fully incorporated before adding more
- Once all the milk has been added, add the mustard and salt and pepper to taste
- Add in the 1/3 C cheese and stir to combine, take it off the heat until ready to use
- Layer the vegetables in an oven proof tray and spoon the sauce over
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs and extra cheese on top & pop into the oven for 30 minutes
- For extra crispiness, use the grill to toast the top in the last five minutes
- Serve warm with what ever you please
You could add shredded chicken, extra vegetables (carrot, asparagus, spinach) or cooked lentils and make it a meal in itself.